Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Life With Two Girls

Life with two little ones certainly is interesting.  I really appreciate having Ryan around to help out.  It's never been clearer than now how much of a team we are together.  Since Hannah's arrival, Ryan has been spending more and more time with Alex.  I think that is one of the main reason why she has adjusted so well to having a little sister.  Alex loves Hannah and is very protective of her.  My cousin told me of an incident involving a half eaten banana when Ava (my 4 yrs old niece) gave Hannah a kiss.  Apparently, only Alex can kiss Hannah.  And I just love the way she says her sister's name... Han-na.  For a while there, Dawn thought she was saying it was very cold in the house in Chinese until she realized she was telling her that Hannah was crying.  Our weekday schedule doesn't leave a lot of time for Ryan and I to spend together or to spend with the furbabies.  Poor Daisy, there has been multiple days where we've forgotten to feed her in the morning.

I can't help but compare Hannah to Alex when she was a baby.  She looks just like Alex at the same age... when her eyes are closed.  They have very different looking eyes, but other than that...  I showed a picture of Alex around 2 months old to my mom and she thought it was Hannah.  I'm sure as they grow, they'll look different.  Alex looks nothing like she did as an infant.  Hannah is also a very pukey baby.  Poor child pukes after every meal, and sometimes in between meals.  The doctor said acid reflux is common in babies.  Alex rarely puked as an infant.  She puked more as a toddler.  There's a load of laundry each day just from Hannah's changes.  She's also a crier.  Alex was a sleeper.  She slept for the first 3 months of her life... but apparently preemies are usually sleepers.  Not that Hannah doesn't sleep, she just doesn't sleep as much as Alex, especially during the day.  Honestly, and I'm not sure if I should admit this publicly, but liking Hannah took a little bit more effort than with Alex.  Of course I love the child, but with a toddler around that has so much personality, an unresponsive baby that requires so much work just can't compare.  With that being said, she's growing so fast already and part of me can't wait until she gets to Alex's age.  The other part doesn't want my last baby to grow up.  I love her little doll like lips, especially when she's done nursing and the bottom lip is all pursed and stubborn looking.  That's her signal that she doesn't want anymore and nothing I can do would make her open her mouth again until she ready.  I have a feeling that she's going to be a cuddler... I'm very hopeful that is true.  Alex was never a cuddler and I was very envious my friend Erica when her baby girl just snuggles up with her.  Alex is much more of a cuddler now, not that she snuggles, but her openly affectionate hugs and kisses just melts my heart.  You can't but help be happy with her. 

I'm happy with two girls.  I'm happy with where I am in my life.... though I could use a bit more sleep. 



No comments: